Posted on August 20 2020
A pretty quiet week on the new release front as several were put back. There is still some great music to listen to however so here goes with my notes on them.
1. Nubya Garcia – Visions (Concord)
Debut from the hugely talented saxophonist. Nubya has been front and centre of the resurgence in the new London jazz scene over the past few years and this first long player has been hotly anticipated. Exciting times to be interested in jazz with so much great new music being produced. Here Nubya glides effortlessly through complex rhythms encompassing dub through to afro-columbian. Watch this star rise, a superb record and thoroughly recommeded. We have the double Vinyl LP and CD versions. ALBUM OF THE WEEK.
2. Blue Pills – Holy Moly!
Heavy blues garage rock with attitude on Blues Pills third long player. Never less than thrilling, a visceral ride into the hard rock territory, jump aboard. We have the 4 x LP boxset, the Red/Gold Splatter Vinyl LP and the 2 x CD digibook.
3. Various Artists - Shanti Celeste - The Sound of Love International #003 (Love International Records)
Here Shanti Celeste takes control of the Love International boat and straps on a large outboard motor to roar down the Dalmation coast. Solid sounds, deep and mesmeric from summery grooves to heads down techy business. We went to Love International last year and had a fantastic time with highlights including DJ Harvey playing in the open air at Barbarellas and dancing in biblical rain at the ALFOS party, bittersweet as it turned out to be the last time we would ever see Lord Sabre (RIP)
4. The Grateful Dead – Workingman’s Dead (Rhino)
We had the 50th Anniversary CD editions of this a few weeks back, now we have the vinyl re-issue. Essential Dead in their finest hour, just fabulous American roots music from a top jug band.
And that is pretty much it for the new releases.
We have spent some time this week listing some newly acquired pre-loved items on Discogs so well worth checking these out. We sell all our pre-loved stock on the Discogs platform. You can access these via the 'Discogs' link on our home page.
1. A mint sealed copy of the Eagles - Legacy box set containing 15 LP's.
2. Tom Petty - 'The Complete Studio Albums Volume 2 (1994-2014)' containing 7 albums and pretty rare, there are currently no other copies available in the UK and only 1 other in Europe.
3. Bruce Springsteen 'The Ties That Bind: The River Collection' containing 4 CDs with the original LP, an alternative LP and all the outtakes and two DVD's chronicling the recording and a superb concert from 'The River' tour.
Also listed on Discogs this week some fantastic original jazz & blues LP's including:
1. Art Pepper - 'Meets The Rhythm Section' from 1957 on Vogue
2. The Junior Cook Quintet feat. Blue Mitchell – Junior's Cookin' a 1961 mono US copy on Jazzland
3. Bobby Timmons - 'Soul Time', a 1960 mono UK copy on Riverside
4. Big Joe Williams - 'Tough Times' a 1961 mono UK version on Fontana
5. The Horace Silver Quintet & Trio - 'Blowin' The Blues Away' a signed copy of the 1969 Blue Note re-issue.
6. Jimmy Rushing - 'If This Ain't The Blues' 1958 UK version on Vanguard and my favourite pre-loved album of the week.
These and many more jazz LP's, prog rock and jazz CD's have been put up on Discogs so well worth digging on there.
Here is a playlist of new releases and highlights from our pre-loved listings from this week.
And remember, let's be careful out there