Various Artists - Dust On The Nettles: A Journey Through The British Underground Folk Scene 1967-72 (Grapefruit)
£22.99RELEASED: 9th April 2021
All items listed on the site as ‘in stock’ are available from the shop or from our suppliers and we aim to dispatch orders within 24 hours after receiving payment. If the items need to be ordered from our suppliers this may take an additional 2-3 days however you will be informed by email about this.
Pre-order items will be dispatched for delivery on the day of release. It is important to note however that release dates are subject to change. We are at the mercy of our suppliers with regards to the release dates and it is beyond our control if these dates change. We will do our best to update you on any date changes as soon as we are informed of them.
Buyers are responsible for the shipping costs and for overseas customers any duty and/or customs charges that are levied.
We aim to keep our postage and packing charges as low as possible at all times. We will always try and find the cheapest method of sending your goods to you.
We aim to provide great service and so if you are not happy with the products please inform us within 7 days of receiving as we offer a no quibbles returns policy.
UK Postage Under 2Kg: Royal Mail 2nd Class
UK Postage Over 2Kg: Parcelforce
Europe & Rest of the World: Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed. Orders over 2kg will be sent via courier (Parcelforce, DPD) priced individually according to weight and destination.
|VINYL & CD WEIGHT UP TO & INCLUDING||UK||WORLD ZONE 1||WORLD ZONE 2||WORLD ZONE 3|
|250g - Approx 2 x 7" Singles or 1 x CD||£2.49||£11.49||£14.99||£15.49|
|500g - Approx 1 x LP, 3 x 7" singles or 2 x CDs||£3.85||£17.99||£19.99||£21.99|
|750g - Approx 1-2 x LPs or 3 x CDs||£3.85||£19.99||£22.99||£23.99|
|1Kg - Approx 2-3 x LPs or 4 x CDs||£3.85||£22.99||£25.99||£27.49|
|1.5Kg - Approx 3-4 x LPs||£4.99||£25.99||£30.99||£33.99|
|1.75Kg - Approx 4-5 x LPs||£4.99||£26.99||£31.99||£34.49|
|2Kg - Approx 5-6 x LPs||£4.99||£26.99||£31.99||£34.49|
|2.5Kg - Approx 6-7 x LPs||£9.99|
|3Kg - Approx 7-8 x LPs||£9.99|
|3.5Kg - Approx 8-9 x LPs||£9.99|
|4.0Kg -Approx 9-10 x LPs||£9.99|
|4.5kg -Approx10-12 x LPs||£9.99|
|5.0Kg - Approx 12-14 x LPs||£9.99|
|5.5Kg - Approx 14-16 x LPs||£9.99|
|6 Kg - Approx 16-18 x LPs||£9.99|
WORLD ZONE 1
Japan, South Korea, Japan
WORLD ZONE 2
Australia, British Indian Ocean Territory, Christmas Island (Indian Ocean),
Christmas Island (Pacific Ocean), Cocos Islands, Cook Island, Fiji, French Polynesia, French South Antarctic Territory, Kiribati, Macao, Nauru Island, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue Island, Norfolk Island, Papua New Guinea, People's Democratic Republic of Laos, Pitcairn Island, Republic of Singapore, Solomon Islands, Tokelau Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, US Samoa, Western Samoa
World Zone 3
ESTIMATED DELIVERY TIMES
UK and Northern Ireland: 2-4 Working Days
Western Europe: 3-5 Working Days
Eastern Europe: 5-15 Working Days
Rest of the world: 5-9 Working Days
Please note that these times are approximate, and postage can sometimes take longer, depending on factors beyond our control (Covid 19, severe weather conditions, local delivery problems, and delays at customs for example). If you have not received your parcel within 30 days of your order confirmation email (15 days for UK customers) then please contact us by email and we will refund or replace the order as required.
Format: 3 x CD Clamshell Box
Cat No: CRSEGBOX030
With 63 tracks and a total running time of just under four hours, 'Dust On The Nettles' examines the metamorphosis that British folk underwent during the late 1960s, when the influence of psychedelia and the counterculture saw the idiom being twisted into all kinds of new and exotic shapes, as the finger-in-the-ear folk clubs of yore were inexorably drawn into a brave new world of Arts Labs, free festivals and the nascent college/university circuit.
This anthology incorporates the various overlapping strands of the underground folk scene: the acid folk experimenters, the folklorists and trad song updaters, the more metaphysical element of the burgeoning singer/songwriter genre, the newly-electric folk rockers, the elemental paganism exemplified by Comus and The Wicker Man, even the early 1970s Jesus music movement that spawned the likes of the sitar-wielding Parchment.
Balancing the familiar with the obscure, it features acknowledged brand leaders like Fairport Convention, The Incredible String Band, Pentangle and Steeleye Span alongside acts who made music purely for the local communities that nurtured them: Shide & Acorn on the Isle of Wight, Folkal Point in Bristol, Music Box in Coventry, Chrissie Quayle in Cornwall.
Incorporating a large number of recordings that weren’t issued at the time, impossibly rare albums by the likes of Oberon, Dry Heart and Benjamin Delaney Lion, and key recordings from a number of bands who underpinned the thriving live scene of the era.
Housed in a clambox featuring a lavishly illustrated and annotated 36-page booklet, the painstakingly-assembled 'Dust On The Nettles' is surely the most comprehensive and wide-ranging anthology thus far of the UK underground hippie folk movement of the late 1960s/early 1970s.
1. LET NO MAN STEAL YOUR THYME – The Pentangle
2. WILLOW’S SONG (FROM THE WICKER MAN) - Magnet
3. COME ALL YOU TRAVELLERS - Wight
4. LOVE IS A FUNNY THING - Spirogyra
5. IMAGES OF PASSING CLOUDS – Gary Farr
6. PEEK STRANGELY AND WORRIED EVENING - Synanthesia
7. GLASS OF WATER – Bob & Carole Pegg
8. WINTER IS BLUE – Vashti Bunyan
9. WINTER IS A COLOURED BIRD - Comus
10. THE SEAGULLS SCREAM – Chrissie Quayle
11. STORIES OF JESUS – Clive Palmer
12. AMANDA – Steve Peregrin Took’s Shagrat
13. CURIOUS CRYSTALS OF UNUSUAL PURITY – Bridget St. John
14. ROSES FOR COLUMBUS – Mark Fry
15. TILL THE MORNING COMES – Dando Shaft
16. BLACK GIRL – Mary-Anne
17. THE GARDEN OF JANE DELAWNEY - Trees
18. WEIRDSONG OF BREAKING THROUGH AT LAST – Principal Edwards Magic Theatre
19. MINAS TIRITH – Oberon
20. PRISONERS, VICTIMS, STRANGERS, FRIENDS – Paper Bubble
1. PILGRIM – Gerald Moore
2. RIVER LANE – Melton Constable
3. WAY OUT HERMIT - Moonkyte
4. ALL THINGS ARE QUITE SILENT – Steeleye Span
5. UPON REFLECTION - Heron
6. LOVE IS COME AGAIN - Parchment
7. STARGAZER – Shelagh McDonald
8. THERE ARE NO GREATER HEROES - Tony Caro & John
9. VISIONARY MOUNTAINS – Joan Armatrading
10. GLOW OF THE FIRELIGHT - Tuesday
11. SEARCHING FOR LAMBS – Warm Gold
12. SAMANTHA CAROL FRAGMENTS - Benjamin Delaney Lion
13. FOTHERINGAY – Fairport Convention
14. YOU KNOW WHAT HAS TO BE – Frozen Tear
15. MEANWHILE BACK IN THE FOREST – Hunt Lunt & Cunningham
16. FIRST GIRL I LOVED – The Incredible String Band
17. HALFDAN’S DAUGHTER – The Moths
18. THE MUTANT – Trader Horne
19. MEETING BY THE MOONLIGHT MILL – Dry Heart
20. HIGHWAYS (MISTY MIST) - Tyrannosaurus Rex
21. GABILAN – Duncan Browne
22. SAND ALL YELLOW – Kevin Coyne
1. GARDEN SONG – Bill Fay
2. MUSIC OF THE AGES - C.O.B.
3. A SONG FOR THE SYSTEM – Everyone Involved
4. THE COLOUR IS BLUE – Country Sun
5. SILENT VILLAGE – Wild Country
6. WELCOME TO THE CITADEL – Marc Brierley
7. THE EVIL VENUS TREE – The Occasional Word
8. STANDING ON THE SHORE – Anne Briggs
9. KIND SIR - Agincourt
10. EAGLE – Mick Softly
11. ROSEMARY HILL – Fresh Maggots
12. THE HAPPY KING – Music Box
13. ME AND MY KITE - Fuchsia
14. WIZARD SHEP - The Sun Also Rises
15. SCARBOROUGH FAIR – Folkal Point
16. PRISONER – Marie Celeste
17. PATRICE – Simon Finn
18. GIRL OF THE COSMOS – Shide & Acorn
19. ELEGY TO A DEAD KING - Chimera
20. SILENCE RETURNS - Beau
21. ORANGE DAYS AND PURPLE NIGHTS – Mother Nature